Thursday, June 3, 2010

Close to perfect...

Once, a long time ago, I worked on a baseball game.

This was largely accidental on my part; I'd not been at the company long and I got called into the office of the Big Boss who asked me, conversationally, if I liked sport. Figuring this was my opportunity to join the company's five-a-side football team I leapt in with a quick affirmative, only to find that I'd ended up 'volunteering' myself to be the lead designer on a baseball game.

Baseball was a sport that I knew absolutely nothing about. In fact, being British, I was rather certain that baseball was simply rounders played with bigger bats.

But, as time went on, I began to develop something of an affinity with it. It got under my skin somehow and, while the rest of the team (I'm sure) never gave a second thought to baseball after we'd finished the game, I still keep in touch with it.

Therefore, I can fully appreciate one of today's big trending searches, that deals with the Detroit Tiger's Armando Galarraga's close call with a perfect game...

For those of you who, like me before the baseball game, know nothing about the sport. Let me explain a little about a perfect game - it's basically where a pitcher goes through the whole game without the opposition even getting a man on base. Every single batter who comes up fails to even reach first base. 27 batters, 27 outs. And it is very rare.

Let me put it into perspective - there are 2,430 matches of baseball played every single year. And yet, in over 100 years of the modern era of professional baseball, there have only been 18 perfect games. Out of the hundreds of thousands of games played, only 18 men have ever accomplished a perfect game.

Last night, Armando Galarraga had 26 batters out - one out from becoming only the 19th man in a century to achieve the feat - when a bad referee call by Jim Joyce robbed him of his place in history. Jason Donald, of the Cleveland Indians, was called safe at first base when he was clearly out - and Armando now has to wait to see if the MLB will look at the video replay and reverse the call. I hope they see sense and do just that - otherwise Galarraga will forever by the 'nearly perfect' guy, and Jim Joyce will likely never be welcome in Detroit...

But, while millions of people are out searching the web for Jim Joyce and Perfect Game, there are a large body of people who are far more interested in a Ms. Debralee Lorenzana...

Who, you might ask, is Debralee Lorenzana? Well, I have to admit I was asking the same question myself but - in the top five searches (so I'm guessing millions) was 'Debralee Lorenzana Facebook'.

Well, apparently, it turns out that Debralee Lorenzana is an ex-employee of Citibank who is alleging she was fired for being 'too hot' and that her choice of work attire was unsuitable since “as a result of the shape of her figure, such clothes were purportedly ‘too distracting’ for her male colleagues and supervisors to bear.” A picture of Ms. Lorenzana can be seen at the top of the page, so you can judge for yourself whether you think she has a case...

But this has obviously led to a deluge of people eagerly trying to track her down on Facebook and check out more pictures. For one Thursday afternoon in June, Debralee Lorenzana is the most sought after woman in the world. Which is both strange and slightly scary.

Anyway, if you reached this page after desperately searching for Debralee Lorenzana pictures, or perhaps, a link to her Facebook site then I must disappoint you. However, you may be interested in this particularly hot video of her I found on youtube...

For the record, Citibank claim she was fired because she was no good at her job. There are many Detroit Tiger fans who are claiming the same should be the case for Jim Joyce...

No comments:

Post a Comment